The Philadelphia Phillies selected Bishop Gorman High School outfielder Justin Crawford with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2022 MLB Draft on Sunday night. Crawford is an 18-year-old prospect, who is committed to LSU and the son of former major league outfielder Carl Crawford.
Crawford has outstanding speed and athleticism that will translate to the base paths and outfield. He also has a compact swing, good contact skills, and “slap-hitting ability.” Crawford was among the 31 first-round picks who participated in the 2021 Perfect Game All-American Classic.
Phillies draft Justin Crawford 17th overall!
Carl Crawford's son projects as a plus CF with ELITE, game-changing speed ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/zQqj06MrEL
— Farm To Fame (@FarmToFame_) July 18, 2022
Crawford is considered a long-term prospect with room to build his physical frame and develop his on-field traits. He’s an intriguing prospect defensively in the outfield with his natural speed and range.
Crawford is the third consecutive high school player the Phillies have selected in the first round. The previous two players — Mick Abel and Andrew Painter have become two of the organization’s top prospects. The 18-year-old Crawford will likely report to the FCL Phillies before making his way to the Clearwater Threshers in Single-A.
Here are the other players that the Phillies selected in the 2022 MLB Draft:
- OF Gabriel Rincones Jr., Florida Atlantic (3rd round)
- P Alex McFarlane, Miami (4th round)
- P Orion Kerkering, South Florida (5th round)
- P Mavis Graves, Eastside HS (SC) (6th round)
- C Caleb Ricketts, University of San Diego (7th round)
- P Alex Rao, Notre Dame (IN) (8th round)
- OF Chad Castillo, California Baptist University (9th round)
- C Gustavo Sosa, South Mountain CC (AZ) (10th round)
- OF Emaarion Boyd, South Panola HS (MS) (11th round)
- C Jordan Dissin, Saddleback College (CA) (12th round)
- OF Cade Fergus, George Washington University (DC) (13th round)
- SS Bryan Rincon, Shaler Area HS (PA) (14th round)
- OF Troy Schreffler, Maryland (MD) (15th round)
- P Josh Bortka, U Central Missouri (MO) (16th round)
- P Daniel Harper, Kentucky (17th round)
- 2B Braylen Wimmer, South Carolina (18th round)
- P Drew Garrett, Missouri (19th round)
- P Nathan Karaffa, Ohio State (20th round)